Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Millennials are always on!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38165531/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35545420/ns/technology_and_science-wireless

I came across these articles and it reminded me of the dilemmas my husband and I face every day with our teenagers. Can't they stop texting for 5 minutes? Do they really have to constantly post updates to Facebook or MySpace?
After reading "Leisure is Hard Work" by Drotner, I might have to rethink my approach. She writes: "Young people's digital practices promote the formation of competencies that are absolutely vital to their future, in an economic, social, and cultural sense. Adults need to recognize the validity of these practices in the spirit of democratic participation, and acknowledge young people's right to havev a voice and to be heard."

4 comments:

  1. Ah, this reminds me of a phenomenon I've noticed around campus. When classes let out, the undergrads immediately grab their phones and start dialing. You would think they have something important to say, but if you listen in most conversations go something like this:

    -Hey
    -Nothing. Just got out of class.
    -Yeah, nothing interesting going on.
    -I'm bored too.

    Every time I see/hear it I think "People really call each other to have these conversations about nothing?" But apparently they do. And they need to do it the second they get out of that classroom, do not pass go, do not collect $200!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My niece once shocked my brother and sister-in-law with a bill for 14,000 text messages... in one month. I probably don't have 14,000 things to say in one year.

    I do think we need to let young people do as they will with technology, as long as they keep themselves safe. Although, I do worry a bit that many young people will grow up with bad writing habits. Guess we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Bryan - You can turn it on and off. At least, I can. I have to write a certain way in school, yet I write differently when texting or instant messaging.

    Behaviorally, we'd call that 'stimulus control' - you behave a certain way because that behavior has been previously reinforced in the presence of that stimulus. (For example, in the presence of a red light, you've been reinforced for stopping. However, in the presence of a green light, you'd probably be punished - by honks from other angry drivers - for stopping.)

    So, what's my point? As long as teachers require higher level writing skills in an academic setting, I don't think writing skills will be impacted much. We just may have another set of writing tools in our toolbox!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interestingly, my son and daughter - 25 and 22 respectively - have never had text capability on their phones. My concern is that the these younger technology users won't know the simplicity of being "disconnected" from the world and simply being able to exhale and read a book, contemplate things, and the like. I love technology; however, it, like anything, requires moderation. Appreciate the links you provided.

    ReplyDelete