Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I am not a vaguebooker!

Dr. Dennen recently commented on “vaguebookers”. You know, the attention seekers who post things like:
Joice…
Is feeling happy about her conversation
Thinks it’s unfair
Is making big plans

This actually really irritates me. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m “too old” for this “constant connection” thing. I honestly don’t think anyone cares that much about the minutia of anyone else’s life, regardless of the headline grabbing updates people post. Maybe this is the core difference between a Facebook user who is 30 and one who is 15. We have higher standards regarding news that we consider worthy of sharing or maybe we have other outlets for self-expression, which make the attention-grabbing headlines unnecessary.

1 comment:

  1. "... talks about herself in the third person..."

    I too think it's pretty infantile, attention seeking behavior. What could possibly be so interesting about one's life that you need to hook others with some vague one-liner? Sorry- I'm having trouble getting "on board" with much of the social side of w2.0. I find w2.0 websites focusing on information more useful and productive. I guess it all stems from my parents' oft repeated credo: "Its a nice day! You should be outside!". No matter what the actual weather. I'm still having a tough time getting over the hump with the idea that being on the computer/internet is more productive than watching tv (another no-no growing up).

    ReplyDelete