Wednesday, June 30, 2010

What I want, what I really, really, want

What I want from this blog is to gain fluency in Web 2.0 so that I can easily use it to accomplish the projects and tasks that I set out to complete. I don’t just want to use Web 2.0 for the sake of using it, just as some organizations incorporate technology in order to appear relevant, regardless of whether or not the technology they chose is relevant to their needs. I want to be fluent enough in Web 2.0 that I can pick and choose from among tools in order to find the function that best suits my purpose.
As an HPT practitioner, I hope to use these tools to improve performance by creating communities, sharing information, and collaborating. I don’t want to be so stumped by the technology that I get stuck on it and lose sight of the goal. I also want to know enough about Web 2.0 to be able to create easy to use resources for individuals who may not yet be avid users.
As I write this, I am touch-typing. This means that I can write as fast as I think, without stopping to look for the keys on the keyboard. My train of thought is not interrupted by my lack of keyboard fluency. In much the same way, I want to be fluent in at least some Web 2.0 technologies so that I can use them intuitively. This will change my relationship from barely being a Web 2.0 follower, to not imagining how I lived or worked without these tools.

2 comments:

  1. I think your goals are good for Web 2.0 and this class. Sometimes I think knowing Web 2.0 well means knowing when not to use technology too. For instance, I haven't found a use for Twitter yet, but if I do I'll probably adopt it like the other technologies I use.

    Good start to your blog. I'll look forward to reading more during the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joice-

    You and I are looking for the same thing- I want to make web 2.0 relevant to my occupation and HPT specifically.

    I'm embarrassed to get the Spice Girls reference. I'm going to go bury my head now.

    Brust

    ReplyDelete